October 6, 2014

Our Whole 30

If you follow me on Instagram, then you know that Nick and I have been doing Whole 30 (you can read more about it here) and are just over a week away from being finished.  I'm not going to lie and say it's been completely easy.  I love bread so much and have a major sweet tooth.  Which is probably the main reason I decided to do it.  I needed to break my habit of eating sugary treats virtually any time I felt like it.  I also really wanted to clear up my skin more and this has been the most amazing thing ever for that!  I can't begin to describe how good I feel both inside and out, my energy level is so much better and there is no more afternoon crash (ya know the one after lunch..), and I'm actually really enjoying the food we've been eating.

I thought I'd share some of the images I've taken of the food we have had so far.  It's really fun and easy to get creative, and that's one of the things I love about it.  I love to cook so it's been fun experimenting with different things.  I encourage you to give it a try!

post signature

 I am all about infused waters.  This one was quite tasty with lemon and basil.
 

 Harvest blend tea from Trader Joe's was enough to satisfy any craving I found myself having during Whole 30.  And it seriously tastes like Fall in a cup- try it!
 

 Stick a can of coconut cream in the fridge for 24 hours.  It separates from the water, scoop out the cream and whip it with a hand mixer appx 3-5 minutes and viola! Whipped cream.  Top with fresh fruit (we love it with berries)!
 

 This homemade spaghetti sauce with ground turkey served over spaghetti squash was a big hit.  The sauteed kale and mushrooms were really good with it too.
 

 Roasted veggies were a staple side dish that complimented nearly any main dish we had.  Also good for breakfast with eggs.
 

 Baked peaches!  Guys, these were a HUGE hit for us!  We ate them nearly everyday.  Breakfast or dessert- it didn't matter.  Stuff inside of peach with chopped pecans and sprinkle with cinnamon.  Bake at 400 for 20-25 min and top with shredded unsweetened coconut.  The bomb dot com.  Tastes like peach cobbler without the guilt.
 

 Lots of greens were to be had on Whole 30 and rightly so.  We ate a lot of them before anyway so this wasn't a huge change for us.  This particular meal was leftover pistachio crusted flank steak salad with a basil peach sauce.  Divine.
 

 Salmon was another common meal.  After trying it a few ways, we found our favorite was a teriyaki-type marinade and then grilled up.  Served with brussel sprouts and a side of fruit.  Oh yeah, and my husband caught the salmon which made it like a million times better.
 

 Baked banana chips were a good snack.  Tossed in coconut oil and dehydrated in the oven for 2.5 hours.  Guilt-free snacking commenced.
 

 My favorite meal!  (All homemade) Loaded sweet potato fries topped with leftover pulled pork, pico de gallo and guacamole. YUM-MY!
 

 Lunch was by far the hardest meal for us to feel satisfied with.  Until I found a recipe and tweaked it a bit for some Whole 30 compliant tuna salad.  Served over sauteed spinach and topped with avocado.
 

  Coffee.  I used to only drink coffee with sweetened almond milk or some kind of creamer.  I find it really hard to drink coffee black.  But during Whole 30, if I wanted coffee then I could only really drink it with coconut milk.  We recently got some pumpkin spice coffee from Trader Joe's that is unreal!  Served with some coconut milk- it's basically like cheating.  Except not.

I really hope that you feel like you can take the steps to eliminate some of the processed food from your diet and not feel like you are deprived!  It's so good to take a step back and let your body heal itself and to cleanse from all the sugar and other processed foods that we daily ingest.  I just feel so good and want to pass it on. :)

1 comment:

  1. You just made me want to change my eating habits like no other - this all looks too good to be true! Major props to you and Nick! xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments - I read each one!