March 29, 2017

Spring hobbies



Spring is just baaaarely starting to surface in the Northwest and I could not be more excited!  It has been a long, cold, wet and yucky winter so when I woke up this morning to flowers popping up in my backyard and the pink cherry blossoms starting to bloom, my heart was happy.  I've been looking for new hobbies to do to help keep my sanity.  With a toddler running around and a baby who is almost due, I needed something for myself.  However, I do include my daughter in some of it which she absolutely loves.  Two of my favorite things to do lately are garden and make water kefir.  What the heck is that?  I'll touch on it in a minute.  :)

A few weeks ago I started my herb and vegetable garden indoors and have been pleasantly surprised with how well my plants are doing!  The plants are getting pretty big and the weather is warming up enough that in a week I plan to transplant them to pots on the patio.  This has been such a fun hobby to do with Addy!  She loves to look at our plants, help water them and we talk about how yummy they will be.  She kind of thinks they are flowers and always tries to smell them- haha.  Lucky for her, in a couple of weeks we will be getting our flowers and I know she will be so excited to help take care of them!

Water kefir.  As a family we have made a very conscious effort, especially in the last year, to take the best care of our bodies that we can and to maintain good health.  Good health leads to good energy and I need as much energy as I can get chasing around my girl!  You probably know that one of the best ways to take care of your health is to take care of your gut.  It's important to eat a wide range of colorful fruits and vegetables, monitor your starch intake and choose good quality meats, eggs and dairy products.  Probiotics are another major component to gut health.  I am not going to get into what probiotics are right now, but you can read more about it here.  We've recently had some health issues with Addy that have forced us to change her diet and add in more probiotics.  A great way to do that is through kefir!  Water kefir is a lot like kombucha.  For the last few months, I have researched it like crazy and how to make it, health benefits, recipes, what it is, any cons, basically everything!  I never found a single negative thing about it.  I was honestly so intimidated to try making it, but it's next to impossible to find on the market to buy so I decided to order this and give it a shot.  Let me tell you- we are so addicted and have noticed the biggest difference in our health over here!  My skin is clear and glowing, all of our digestive systems seem to be so much better, energy levels have increased, and it just tastes so amazing.  I currently have 5 batches in my fridge- haha!  It's been fun playing around with different flavors too, plus you can use coconut water instead of regular water.  Some of our favorites are lemon ginger, mixed berry, tropical fruit, lemon, lemon mint, and orange.  Addy gobbles it down too and it's so cute to hear her say "kefir kefir!" and run to grab her cup.  It's a mommy win knowing that she's drinking something so good for her growing little body!  
 

What are some of your favorite spring hobbies?  Please share!

1 comment:

  1. We have read your wonderful blog which is really nice please take a loom at mine Link Text

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your sweet comments - I read each one!